Sunday, July 22, 2012

Reflections of Self in Music

I heard this song on my way to class. Initially the sound of Nat King Cole's voice soothed me, but the words had a contradictory effect. He was killing me softly. Have I become Mona Lisa? In the song he speaks of a cold woman with a charming smile. The only difference between me and this Mona character is that I don't smile that often. I tend to over-exaggerate though, and I'm very hard on myself, but to a certain extent that's how we all are right? Anyway, the point of this post to express the power of music. I love how on an ordinary day I can turn on Pandora and the music gods bestow me with a bevy of tunes that make me think, or cry, or even smile suspiciously like Mona Lisa. The feeling reminds me of  Musiq Soulchild Concert I attented a few years back where he led the crowd in singing a song comprised of a few simple lyrics, "I love music, any kind of music". Well said Musiq Soulchild, I concur.


I must warn anyone who dares to read the jumble of thoughts that I produce: The following post will likely change subject several times before I reach my final point. Now that that's done,...I listened to Hard Hearted Hannah by Ella Fitzgerald for the first time a few months ago and didn't think much of it except, for the final line, "oo wee she's sweet as sour milk". Again, I thought that hard-hearted Hannah described me.

The feelings I've had were recently confirmed when one of my best friends told me that I make it hard to get to know me. I solicited her opinion but still found myself shocked at what I already knew to be true. I walk around with a 20ft wall around me. and in total contradiction of myself I emote endlessly.

Where's the reconciliation? Well, I guess I have to find another song for that. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment