Sunday, July 22, 2012

Ingredients of Love

I've been spending the past few days in self discovery mode, attempting to create a list of 'bare minimums'. I've gone from not being able to write anything to creating a semi-exhaustive list of feelings I want to be free to express and attributes I'd like him to posses. Truth is, I think I spend too much time on the subject matter of love. Part of me feels like it goes against everything I stand for as a realist; another part of me thinks that love is the biggest quest in life and deserves the inklings of want that I devote to it.

I'm a recovering undercover over-lover. I adore men. Strong black men, esp. Possibly to a fault. I've created a catalog in my head of wondrous traits of men I've known and one day I'll met my composite sketch who, "adores me" and "is comfortable with my adoration of him", according to this list I've created. But all of this may be a little too idealistic unfortunately (which means I'm lying to myself when I say I'm a realist).

Bare minimums (things I cannot, will not live without):
-He must be able to take care of his own responsibilities.
-Passionate about something (or a few things).
-He must believe in the value of education (formal, trade, or other).
-Family oriented.
-Wants children, preferably with one woman.
-Believes in something bigger than himself, i.e. God.
-Challenges himself professionally, personally, spiritually.
-Not an asshole.
-Doesn't take himself too seriously.
-Loves to travel.
-He's a friend and teammate.
-Adores me.
-Comfortable with my adoration of him.

I realize that some of what I've written will prove itself overtime. But this is a quick notation of where I am. Years from now, thanks to the power of technology, I'll look back on this list and note the changes but for now this makes for a great opener on a first date.

So what are you passionate about? Me, figuring out the ingredients of love (well, it's a side hobby anyway). :)

Angie Stone & Musiq Soulchild:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXNzjmLaOc

-Everything reminds me of a song.

4 comments: